I have finally done enough new work to post some progress here. The crane carrier has a new frame, as the original was kinda hacked up and too short. The carrier has also been converted to radio control. Everything you see in this picture (except the 3 batteries) is actually mounted to the frame, no longer mock ups.
The 3 batteries are going to be hidden under the deck behind the pivot and gear later, but for now, that space is still being used for the "pogo pin" control of the upper unit.
Pogo pins assembly
Pogos in the battery slots:
Here's a look at the control box. There are 2 C size batteries in the box along with the RC receiver, and all the wiring connections. There is another battery in the fuel tank. the 6 batteries provides the 9 volts needed for the RC system that powers all the carrier's functions.
Now that everything is in there, a cover keeps it all in there. The speed control and the counterweight lifting table's control is mounted on top of the box, and will be hidden on the finished model.
The RC setup works great, and all the mechanisms are working well. Now I need to make myself get back to work on those outriggers. And still, there are tons of other things to do, all in good time. Dan
Post by rebeltrucker on Jun 1, 2009 21:40:43 GMT -5
Dan, This is looking great! It really makes me want to start mine! Ive got some great pictures of the SL that Ill email you tomorrow morning when I get to work. They'll show you how that boom dolly works. Once again, Fantastic work
Thanks again, guys. The input helps keep the momentum going. I lost all momentum about a year ago, didn't pick it up again for about 8 months. I don't want that to happen again. Partly it was due to 1/1 projects as the weather turned good, but also part was due to other issues involving a close friend. This year's projects aren't so involved, I like to hope.
Nathan, I'll be looking forward to those pictures!
Here are a couple more shots of the crane as I took it out for a joyri--um, test run...this time with the upper unit on it. The equalized suspensions work even better under load.
It leaves some cool tracks too.
I probably won't make a habit of running it in the dirt, don't want it to get into the drives. Thanks again for looking. Dan
OK gentlemen. I've been beating away at this thing again, and as usual, it fights back. But headway is being made...
As winter set in, I decided to work on converting the upper unit over to RC. a few other issues were dealt with too while I was at it. The Electronic speed controls used for RC racecars prove to not be ideal for these small motors. After considerable effort to use them, I had to actually make one speed controller using a servo to turn a Potentiometer which controls a transister to power the motor that runs the rotation of the upper unit. It has to run extremely slow and smooth, something those ESCs can't deliver on.
Another servo reverses the direction. Once I beat that into submission, the rest went a bit easier.
New frames were made from oak to replace the warpy plywood, and a panel was fabricated to hold the 3 ESCs. The battery back rides transversly under the motors. It's crowded in there, but it all fits! I discovered one of the motors was grinding gears, so I replaced it too.
A few other mods were made, and the mechanism seems to be working fine. Now i just have to adapt the rest of the crane's components, minor mods, and then I can start on the long awaited building the scale looking body work, decking, etc. Dan
Last Edit: Feb 3, 2010 22:19:57 GMT -5 by Southgate
Thanks, guys. I've been working on it lately, but nothing that would show in pictures. Beleive me, I'm not as good at it as it may appear. I have had to remake so many of the peices that I could almost go back and assemble another one out of discarded parts! (the upper unit, not the carrier)
It is about to enter a new phase, that of building the scale appearance; the decks, cabs...the fun stuff! I'll post pix as soon as that starts. Still have to get the other outrigger working smoothly. (not automated) Dan