Since the last post, air cleaners were turned on the lathe and a couple details added. There are 2 air cleaners for the carrier truck. They'll probably go something like this: PB292179 by Southgate_08, on Flickr
Then, on to the cat walks. The idea here is that no matter how the upper unit is positioned, access to the cab can be made from the carrier's deck, either from behind, the front, or the gap in the rail. Not all cranes have these, but some do. P1010092 by Southgate_08, on Flickr
They easily come off for transport. They slide in to that slot on the side of the upper unit from the front or back. You wouldn't believe how much trouble I had with these. First, building them was pretty easy. I thought I'd checked clearences on everything, but I had to go back and make some serious revisions. But it's all fine now with no interference on anything. P1010094 by Southgate_08, on Flickr
The last few weeks have been busy. I tried to spray the crane with rustoueum Marigold yellow with the spray can but had runs. (the can, not me). So that part dried for a week then I stripped it. Using the same can of paint, I loaded it's paint into a cup pand poured it into an airbrush. That worked much better
These are of the crane body mocked up. Since these pics were taken, the cabs and most of other body work have been painted. This gives an overall idea as to how it will look. Dan
Here are the most recent pictures of the crane, taken a few minutes ago. I'm taking it to a show in Porland this weekend, so have been chipping away at it. there are a thousand things left to do, but each little thing shows now.
Cabs are painted, and some of the interior details are too. Everything will get a dullcoat treatment so it doesn't look like a diecast!
I finally got some pictures of how the lights actually look.
The color of the tail and side lights is actually a bit richer than they appear here. Putting the colored lenses into the body over the LEDs makes the lights more visible over a wider viewing angle.
Exhaust pipes are lined up. The cab is removable, as is the carrier deck. the painted parts of the pipes remove with the cab. The white parts of the pipes stay on the carrier frame with the engine. They'll be painted too, of course
I may get a few other components painted by Saturday, but even so, it will be displayed on the "primer" table, along with some of it's transportation fleet. More on that later. Dan
Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013 3:45:45 GMT -5 by Southgate
Hi guys! I'm back, after taking some time off from the 1/24 (burnout)world and going into 1/87 for a while. But not without some sporadic progress on this project. Here are a list and a few random pix of some of the progress made since the last post:
The rims were put back in the lathe and the edged contoured to look more real.
painted up and reinstalled
The outrigger boxes were closed up and detailed. Here's an in progress shot.
Outrigger pads were made,
The outrigger jack cylinders were painted yellow, but I don't have any pictures that recent.
New radios were also bought, 2.4 Ghz to replace the static-ey old FM units, it runs like a whole new machine.
I'll post more progress as pictures are loaded to photobucket.