I have been working on this over 2 years, and have a long way to go. Long story short, It's a 6 axle lattice boom truck crane. Instead of trying to find a specific prototype to model, I decided to freelance, but sticking with realistic crane practices.
Milling an access for the slewing motor in the "upper" unit deck, using a Sherline model 2000 vertical mill
Rear axles, equalized suspension. these are electrically driven as are all the drum and line functions and the swing on the crane
Front triple axle set. (sounds like an ice scating move!) All milled from brass bar stock fished out of the bin at my local scrap metal dealer.
I know this is very random. I posted in progress shots at another forum, but I accidentally deleted my Photobucket account, and lost all the host pix. i do have them in my computer, and am rebuilding the Photobucket account I'll post more later. Dan
Last Edit: Apr 26, 2009 19:37:27 GMT -5 by Southgate
Please rest assured, this project has been an evolution, not a straight forward progression! Most of the components have been built and rebuilt. The original deck was 3/4 inch plywood, and was problematic. I bought the Sherline lathe and mill machines after the crane was in progress, so that changed dramatically the way I approached the build. The base boom, for example is the 3rd one I have made for the crane, the others being wrong for some reason. And I am likely going to make a 4th one, this one is wrong too.
Last night I started working on the outriggers, I want to get those done to at least the point they function, because right now the crane will fall over if I operate it with the counterweights on it. I Can't find the pictures of the one set I have partially completed!
Bonze, heres a picture of a section of boom about to be assembled. Note the holding pins and the holes drilled in the tubing to hold the lattice pieces. The same principal could be used in styrene, or you can go with brass. Styrene would be cheaper and easier, for sure.
Here are a few more random shots of the project: original plywood deck, warped and too weak anyway.
Here's a look at the front hubs. I modified a hub from a kit to match the crane's rim, and made resin copies.
The PVC rims as in this picture have been replaced with aluminum.
here is some recent work. Cranes have a lot of shackles around, look here for example:
So I thought I'd try my hand at making a few. I turned these on the little lathe.
I bent brass rod into the shape of the bow, and soldered it into these things. Lots of trial and error, but I finally got a couple right. On the next set, I rounded over the edges on the lathe too. On the first set I filed them after assembly.
This worked well enough, so I made a couple more smaller ones using the same tech. Later I made pins for them. The larger one has a threaded pin that goes through the unthreaded shackle into a modified nut. The smaller isn't threaded, it just presses in to look like a threaded pin and shackle.
A smaller shackle was made too, to be used as a casting master, along with a commercially available one (white metal)
I started on this block a while back, got back to it here lately and made it operate smoothly. I will probably replace the hook.
The sheaves pull out for rigging. The boom isn't prepared for this yet.
Everything takes longer that you'd think. Lots of boo-boos were made and corrected. It took a foot long bar just to make the 2 smaller operating shackles!
Dan, spot on with the shackles!!!!! It sure can take alot of time just trying to make one piece. As you said shackles are all over a crane so if you need a dozen or so and cant get buy them !!!!! The block looks great as well keep us posted on it GREAT JOB !!!!!!!! Bonze
Thanks, guys. I'm thinking about making resin copies of the shackles and pins. That would be an easy resin project, and the extras would look good as extra details on the support trucks or trailers. Could even shoot you a couple, Bonze, one crane builder to another.