Thanks Marc. Unfortunately, moving into my new home has taken it's toll on the cab of this truck. It fell while I was sorting through some things. The damage isn't too bad. I do have to re-attach the wind fairing, and the trailer suffered a little as well. Of course, as I mentioned on another forum, my right shoulder being broken is also slowing me down. I hope within the next few weeks to show an update.
Before moving in December, this was the last thing done to this truck. I made my own windshield glass from .005" Evergreen clear sheet. This is my first attempt at this. I need more practice at doing it but I think it looks better than the really thick kit piece. I have to play "catch-up" with this truck at the moment as both it and the trailer suffered minor damage during moving.
I finally figured out one of a few things that was stumping me on this truck. Shown here are the modified fuel tank brackets which will now accept the brass fuel tank straps I have. They came with the White Freightliner p/e set by Czech Truck Modell. As you can see, some drilling and cutting was necessary to get the brackets ready. They have painted black to match the frame since I shot this pic. I was originally going to make the straps in plastic, but what I had was too thick, and I saw these and thought they looked better. More pix of my progress soon.
I realized I never did show the trailer with its markings, so here it is in its first mock up with the truck. I still have quite a bit of work to do including hanging the fuel tanks, mounting the stack, making steps for the cab, actually mounting the cab, among other things.
The bumper, which isn't mounted, just laying in place, is photo-etch(Czech Truck Modell) and painted Painter's Touch semi-gloss black.
Here are my stack parts which are made of the following: Kit stack support with a scratch built diagonal brace.(made from K and S brass rod, K and S wire, plastruct hex rod, and K and S angled brass) Pete 352 muffler de-chromed with K and S aluminum upper stack.
Also shown is my air intake, which was heated and bent. The tube just needs to be lengthened.
The black line sticking out from under the cab is part of the bundle of air lines that will be tucked under the cab when it's close to finished.
The stack is up. I still have to make the connection from elbow to manifold, but at least the stack is upright. It is a Pete 352 muffler with K and S aluminum tube at the top, attached the kit's stack brace. I added the diagonal brace using K and S brass tube, K and S wire, Plastruct hex rod, a piece of brass angle, and a modified spare rear cab mount. I also made some u-bolts for attaching the stack to the vertical brace using some very thin metal wire. The fuel lines are done. I'm just glad to have the stack standing upright and I hope to update soon.
I did make a little more progress in between chores.
Using various parts box exhaust pipes, I connected the stack to the manifold.
I lengthened the shift linkage from a Transtar 2 kit.That was done by cutting off the ends and installing a longer shaft made from stretched sprue. Fuel lines, oil lines to Luberfiner, and other plumbing is done.
Lights and flaps. The logos are actually photo-etch.
An alternator from what I suspect was an old GMC Astro kit was "shoe-horned" into place.
I finally can show that something has been done. Progress was going in reverse more than forward these past 2 weeks, but I have achieved one critical milestone. The cab is mounted.
I finally decided to go with the modified kit bumper I made for this truck. Also visible is one of the photo etch wipers. I have to install the other. The air intake is the kit part opened up with a logo and grille by Harald Weber. The main grille is also by Harald.
I had to shave down the front brake drums so the wheels wouldn't protrude from under the cab. I still have to smooth them down some more. The logo on the side of the cab is by Harald, while vent window andthe anti slip material on the step is by Czech Truck Modell.
I also ground down the inside of the AITM front wheel I used.
I cut and ground an amt metal axle for use as hinge pins. Using household aluminum foil, I simulated the foil found on many cabover engine tunnels.
A quick shot of the rear.
I still have to re-attach the wheels touch up quite a few things before going forward, but the end is finally in sight.