Post by truckabilly on Apr 4, 2013 17:04:01 GMT -5
A little more done. I engraved the transmission cover on the lower floor. On the upper floor, there should be an emergency exit on front left side. But the picture of the real thing shows nothing but a riveted floor mat and a seat. I would really like to know how the emergency exit is supposed to work. I left the upper floor unchanged as my knowledge does not go to a great detail.
The tire system seems to be a bit strange to me. While the wheels are perfect in every detail, there is no lettering on the tires which gives the whole wheel sort of unbalanced look. The rims are loose and just a ribbing on the wheel´s perimeter holds the tire in place. Holds? Hardly! This looks fairly okay:
A bit of worse look on the inside:
While all the tires are identical, the ribbing of the wheels is not. That is why I can easily do this:
Ribbing on the outside dual:
I just don´t get it. I would hate to use a glue on the vinyl tires but I will probably have to.
Post by truckabilly on Apr 12, 2013 10:47:54 GMT -5
Okay, back to seats. I sprayed the underside gloss red and satin wine red on top. Then I applied decals. I kept the decals, seats and frames organised in groups, so that the left and right hand side would not mix.
The decals were glaring too much for the textile fabrics so I overcoated them with a matt varnish.
The colors are not that shiny anymore which is the look I was after. I completed the stairway too. I lost one of the steps. I had to make a new one. Guess which one it was.
I am also working on the front part. The area under the driver´s cab needs some details. I am halfway through.
The red color on the engine bay side is humbrol 19. But I am considering the authentic Routemaster color by Zero Paints for the bus body.
Post by truckabilly on Apr 14, 2013 12:49:23 GMT -5
The idea of damaged driver´s seat upholstery has been in my mind for a while but I never made it on my model trucks. This photo made me think that it could happen on a bus as well. So I made it on this bus. My version is a bit overdone, I just wanted to give it a try.
I must admit that I did not think of the other seats. I will not make any rips to them. Maybe some wear effect with a help of a colour filter. Good point, though. Thank you for the idea.
Post by truckabilly on Apr 17, 2013 16:13:48 GMT -5
The upper deck has all the seats installed. I tried to waether them a bit so that they would lose their brand new shine. But the photos reduced the effect quite a lot. It is much more visible for a naked eye.
The lower deck has to wait. First, I have to decide which colour I will use for the outter panels. Some of them have to be installed before I can go on with the side panels and seats.
Post by truckabilly on Apr 28, 2013 5:01:34 GMT -5
Thank you. Another step forward. I painted the ceilings. For the first time I tried preshading. I did not train too much and went on straight to the model. The advanced modellers will probably laugh but I could not do any better. The black lines are not straight and even but I have done the best that I could.
It took a lot more layers of creamy colour that I expected to cover the black preshading lines. My effort will not be visible inside the model, I know. But it was my intention to shoot my first try at something less exposed before I go any further with this technique. Maybe i will try it on the red skin of the bus as well.
Post by truckabilly on Jun 3, 2013 15:03:31 GMT -5
After a few weeks of hesitating which colour to choose for the outside coat I finally decied to use RAL 3002 which, reportedly, they use for local paint repairs in the London Transport. It is a two-component colour used in 1:1 world. As such, it gives a much deeper shine than it should be on a model. With filters and post-shading I hope to fade the shine a bit. These three panels I need in colour to be able to complete the engine bay and to fit the inside board of the lower deck.
Post by truckabilly on Jun 9, 2013 11:58:47 GMT -5
This is my attempt to weather the engine bay. I sprayed well diluted shades of brown and grey humbrol enamels and then I also used the AK enamels like streaking grime and fuel stains.
This strange thing is supposed to be a brake valve under the cab floor. It won´t be visible very well through the grill but it is there to fill the area. I did not take too much care of the surrounding panels colour for the same reason.
For some reason this wall was hard to paint for me. When I finally eliminated all kinds of debris, a silver finger print appeared on the surface. This is how it looks after 6th cleaning.
The stairway tower is glued to the platform. The aluminium strips are partly paint and partly BMF.
Post by truckabilly on Jul 20, 2013 15:54:26 GMT -5
Thank you, Jim. Now a little bit of progress on interior. One of the things that I do not like in the kit is the thick window framing on the inside. The real bus has a sort of even wall with windows cut in. To get a look like this I glued a 0,3 mm sheet onto the window frames and then cut off the windows.
With the windows cut off again and a layer of surfacer it looks like this.
It needs a bit more work on the shape and surface but I believe that it improves the looks of interior a great deal.
Post by gatormarcstaug on Jul 20, 2013 20:53:37 GMT -5
Jarda, Watching your in progress builds is interesting and educational , not to mention highly enjoyable for me. I continue to marvel at the level of detail you are applying to this model. The engine bay looks spot on as they say. The rest o the model in just amazing.
be Well Gator
The price of Freedom is paid everyday by Disabled Vets Semper Fi Adapt, Improvise and Overcome I have to be going to Heaven, cause I spent my time in HELL! Nam 68-69