Those of you who were around for the first CBP on this forum may remember this truck. It's a long story as to how it fell into a sad state of disrepair, but it's time to rebuild it. First, a few shots from when she was first finished. Mods include air line detailing, poseable steering, working cab lift cylinders, and some engine details.
Here is the new cab I'm using. The original cab was falling apart when I was scrubbing off the paint. I've clamped my original rear section to the new cab as a guide to cutting in the new rear windows.
I never did build a trailer for it, so I dug out this old and forgotten project I started years ago. It's a 40' Trailmobile van. I built this by combining 2 of the AMT 27' Trailmobile vans. I only ever got as far as lengthening the sidewalls. I figured it would be perfect for this truck.
I didn't forget about this one. Many things got in the way, but I have made some progress.
This was done just after my last post. I just could not get the AMT steering axle to cooperate with me during modification. the Astro now sports a Revell AG Pete 359 steer axle. The wheel mounting plates are from the Astro.
The dashboard was cleaned up and upgraded. I added the trailer brake handle and put some Future on the gauges to simulate the "glass" though hard to see in this pic. I also added a tachograph which was cut from the dashboard of an Ertl International 4270.
..and for our first mockup. Still one or two more coats of white for the cab before it's done. I did the bumper in black.
From the rear. I weathered the frame and wheels using various powders, but the flash and lighting seem to mask that fact. If you look at the flaps you'll see I'm going with Metro Freight System as the carrier. Not sure if they existed or if AMT made up the name.
I've been playing catch up with this one since I pulled it out of my "in progress" storage spot. Re-attaching fallen and broken parts, etc. I'm just about done with the cab. I remembered to add the "glass" for the rear windows this time. I kept looking at my frame and thought the square tanks just seemed too big for a daycab. Inspired by this reference photo: public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/chevrolet/chevrolet-titan-90-1970/titan-74-04.html I made a change. I used the optional round tanks included in the kit and cut them down. I'm liking how they look even though they're just mocked up for now. I also shaved off much of the raised sections molded onto the Astro kit's frame rails that serve as guides for installing various parts.
I started to go forward on the trailer. Everything came from the kit except for the center spring hanger between the front and rear springs. That part, which is the gray and black part, came from a Wilson livestock trailer suspension. It closely matches the center spring hanger from amt's Trailmobile moving van kits. After comparing the springs to other tandem axle trailer suspensions I have, I used the springs which are meant for the converter dolly. They are shorter in length. I cut the kit's trailer springs from the frame rails and saved them for another project.
I started on the air lines.
The wheels came from an amt Trailmobile moving van kit.