Window glass went in today, an area where AMT did a nicer job with these Ford kits w-a-y back in the early 1970's than some of their later releases. (With the Louisivlle they made each window a separate piece of clear styrene and molded a recess around edge so it mounts close to flush with outside of cab). Was able to snap reference photos inside an old Louisville at local truck repair shop for last few interior detail items which were coat hook, interior light and horn pull.
Evergreen .020 thick scribed styrene for the main body of headliner, .010 sheet behind it and a .010 strip down centre to add some additional relief.
The "parts box" cab has been very helpful for this project, here stack is in place to check fit:
Upper bracket made from styrene strips, "tack glued" in place. Muffler is 3/8" styrene tube. Aluminum tube runs through it, section projecting out top will represent band clamp for stack pipe"
Muffler seam made from .010 x .020 styrene strip. Lower bracket bent from .016 sheet aluminum, .020 brass wire U-bolt holds bottom of muffler. Styrene tube with styrene rod inside heated & bent for exhaust pipe, 2 sections each with 90 degree bend cut to length and attached. Much easier than trying to get 2 bends in the same piece exact!
Back to the real cab, trailer connections coiled from wire. Plaskit resin glad hands and electrical plugs.
Hood latches are another molded on detail replaced with free standing parts. Actually they are so shallow on the kit cab a couple coats of paint and molded on latches would have disappeared, I really didn't have to sand them off. .060 square styrene strip for lower portion, .040 square for upper. .020 brass wire joining them, eyebolt from Tichy Train Group. Another piece of .020 brass wire pins part in place, it still has to come off for coat of silver paint.
Thanks Jim - can almost see the completion of this project! These "fiddly" little detail items are some of the most rewarding parts of project. Kit horns have correct basic shape, just need some cleanup and the ends drilled out. .030 x .125 styrene strip cut for mounting pad. Brass wire pin helps hold for paint/Alclad and also to attach to model later.
Muffler ready to install, painted Testors bright silver, drybrushed with Model Master jet exhaust. Plano Apex pattern stainless mesh used for heat shield, worked into shape so it snaps into place on muffler. .040 wide strip of chrome mylar simulates stainless band clamp holding muffler to bracket.
Thanks Graham! Project "officially" complete now. Hood stop cables made using thread and model railroad parts: Detail Associates wire eye bolts on hood, springs are Rapido coupler springs. Have lots of those as all the rolling stock gets fitted with Micro-Trains couplers:
Wipers made from styrene strip, .040 square for main body, .010 x .020 strip for arm. Blade is .015 x .040. Wiper pinned to cowl with .010 brass wire:
Work light for pinning onto trailers at night made from AMT headlight lens (spare from Road Boss parts kit, the smaller 4 headlight system size) and 7/32" styrene tube with styrene channel & angle for mounting bracket:
Fifth wheel greased and ready for work! Black tape & craft wire bungee cord keeps trailer pigtail from moving around:
Thanks guys, it was an enjoyable challenge building this little tractor. Hopefully next one will go together a little faster now that some ideas have been tried out. Best thing is, I have finally built a Louisville kit. Sounds funny perhaps but I never built this one as a youngster. I remember liking the appearance of Louisvilles and seeing a few of them in "Building Model Trucks", just never built one.
Weather still not the greatest for outdoor photos, was clear and sunny all day but of course clouded over when I got home. Still tried a couple:
In the "How it's made" category, snapshot showing low tech photo setup used. For first picture camera was on tripod, viewing angle blocks out building and just shows top portion of treeline. Second photo was done with camera set directly on far corner of "pavement" surface (it is a piece of plywood painted with grey speckle finish from an aerosol can. Cracks in "pavement" drawn on with black marker) which didn't turn out quite as sharp for focus due to camera movement. Will try for some more pictures one of these days under better weather conditions.