To go with the short nose Road Boss I decided to try and replicate that exterior post trailer in background of prototype photo. AMT's kit, being a Fruehauf prototype, is noticeably different. Rather than rework entire kit I decided to use an approach from model railroad kitbashing, that of reproducing the more noticeable features to get overall "look".
In this case major difference was the prominent horizontal rail along bottom of kit side compared with no rail on prototype. Can't tell for sure but I think that is a roll up rear door on prototype trailer as well.
By trimming part of bottom rail from kit side then installing sides "upside down & backwards" I was able to get close to the Gindy trailer "look" and eliminate the molded on (oversize!) barn door hinge points. Compromises are that there are more ribs at back end than 1:1 version has and a bit of height is lost. As the tractor has "weedburner" exhaust the lower height won't be very noticeable.
Locating tabs on kit floor won't work with inverted sides, heavy styrene strip along inside of walls provides ledge to set floor against. Nose is still stock height showing the amount of height (only about 3 scale inches) lost when sides trimmed down.
Suspension position indicates a slider so kit frame rails used, suspension is Fruehauf so not 100% correct for Gindy trailer, again a compromise I can live with. Will likely change kit ProPar axle caps to Stemco style though.
More "bashing" going on with running gear, basic suspension is stock AMT kit, for round axles in place of kit's square "Pro-Par" ones I used axles from an IMC/THC/Testors/Lindbergh/whoever-has-the-injection-moulds-this-month tank trailer kit. (I got the L700 Dodge/tank trailer combination kit as a "donor" for future straight truck project so trailer running gear was available for use)
Axles fit AMT springs fine, track rods just needed some filing to fit round axle. Modified & stock ones shown, also using brake detail parts from the IMC/IHC/Testors/etc kit:
Thanks! Mud flaps from .015 styrene sheet and .010 x .060 strip, dry transfer letters. Pencil graphite for brake dust and roof brown drybrushed on for rust dulls everything down some.
Trying a new item to replicate the side rail rivet pattern, decal rivets from Micro-Mark. Quite happy with them, using the O scale package, lots of rivets in various patterns on the sheet. Enough for plenty of projects.