Post by truckabilly on Apr 15, 2014 14:55:39 GMT -5
This thing had been resting for a while but now I am back on the ride. The reason for stopping work on this bus was my inability to get a decent quality of the paint job. Everything seemed to be fine at first but when I tried to spray those big side panels and the rest of the body it just didn´t work. The coat was nice and shiny but full of debris. Off the color went but my next attempt had the same result. And another one too. And it went on and on untill I ran out of steam. So, I left the bus for a while. But I couldn´t stand it no more. So, I blew off the dust and here I am with a surface far from being perfect but I decided to let go. The pictures are not perfect either, but they show some of the progress at least.
A lot of details is yet to be painted and the windows need to be trimmed. But I hope it won´t be long and the bus will get to its final destination. Jarda
... and I´ve just killed it. I forgot to spray the yellow stripe beforehand and I had to do it over the red coat. I tried to press the masking tape over the surface details as tight as possible. Still afraid of leaks under the tape I sprayed the clear lacquer as the first layer. Then the white base so the red would not run through. After the yellow was done I peeled off the tape and got this disaster...
I don´t see too many chances for me to carry on with this project unless I strip the paint off again. But some decals are already on. Looks like I lost the battle. This way or the other, if I finish it like I promised, it´ll be pretty wounded bird. Suggestions are welcome. Jarda
Mr. Truckabilly:: Just a suggestion here, but why not go ahead and finish your bus. You have come this far and your project looks great so far. So you had a couple of hic ups along the way.
Take what you have got and do some weathering, make it look like an old worn out bus that is about to be traded in. Done right, and I know you will, as I have seen some of your other work, the weathering would cover up most if not all of your hic ups.
Than if you want a shiny new bus take another kit and go for it, learning from your mistakes on this one. Put them on your shelf as the old and the new.
Just a suggestion as I said at the begining
I'm trucking in but I aint truckin out "Dave Dudley"
Post by truckabilly on Jun 23, 2014 15:03:29 GMT -5
Okay,here we go with the decal. Not perfect again as the decal stripes are transparent a bit. Not even two layers helped to cover the imperfections that I have left after stripping the color. But I am really determined to gun it. The sides are on...
I also changed the vertical handles on both decks. The alclad layer faded out somehow and they were sticking out to all angles anyway. I cut off the ends and replaced the rods with a stainless wire.
The upper deck is without the handles at the moment. I will cut the wire to length when installing the ceiling.
Thanks for the tip, Todd. But I won´t do it because the the real buses didn´t wear such a lining either. I attached another parts of the body to the skeleton. I was afraid of the fitting issues but the panels matched their counterparts pretty well. At least when test fitting they did. With the glue applied it was a bit different story. But the paint retouch and weathering will do, I guess.
The front upper part has the PE grille, so I had to paint the area behind it black. The painted area doesn´t look good but I just needed darkness.
Now, here the whole thing looks like a bus finally. I had some hard times with the side commercials. These big decals are not easy to handle. I had to puncture many air pockets with a needle. Then I used one of the magic liquids to help the decals copy all the surface details like panel joints and rivets. The decals still need some touch ups. I hope I can handle that.
The roof top just sits on the model. There is a possibility to snap it in and off. But I am thinking of cementing it for good. The body will be stronger and besides that, the snapping in and off isn´t that easy job to do. The roof top is pretty stiff.
Post by gatormarcstaug on Jul 5, 2014 8:43:17 GMT -5
Jarda, I have watched this build form the very beginning. The extra details you put into the drivers compartment and the engine bay were awesome. The interior with all those seats and chrome rails etc. Just a real piece of excellent work. The problems that you had with the paint job. I do not envy you.And aside from the possible use of a decal for the yellow stripe I think you have done a really spectacular job with it! I know that for me this particular model is not ever going to be on my work bench! Just a bit too much for me and my skill level.
Well done my friend!
Be Well Gator
The price of Freedom is paid everyday by Disabled Vets Semper Fi Adapt, Improvise and Overcome I have to be going to Heaven, cause I spent my time in HELL! Nam 68-69